North Down AC 2021/22 Grand Prix
I am pleased to launch the 8th Annual Grand Prix with an exciting mix of races planned for the next 12 months.
All paid up club members will be included and it requires no commitment apart from an interest to race for the club, when you can, during the next year.
So, what is it all about? We would like to encourage more of our members to race and participate in races throughout Northern Ireland regardless of their ability.
This year sees our events, selected by the current male and female GP Champions, provide the usual mix of distance, terrain and format to make sure you are put out of your ‘comfort zone’ at some point during the year. Remember no one person will excel at all types of running so everyone is in with a chance.
How does it work:
There is a selected race each month. 12 races over 12 months. The athlete with the most points at the end of the season wins.
Scoring System (separate league for men and women):
- Taking Part Points – 10 points for completing the race (so everyone will get a benefit from just turning up).
- Position Points – 10 points for being the first man/woman from the club; +9 points for being the second man/woman from the club; +8 points for being the third man/woman from the club; and so on down to +1.
- Bonus Points – Points for getting a course PB (excluding XC races) don’t forget you’ll also get a PB if you’ve never ran that particular race before.
- Special Bonus – 20 points for completing all 12 races
After each event the Grand Prix standings will be updated and published on to the club website (a link will be placed on members Facebook page).
Each year I try to ‘tweak’ the rules to encourage participation. This year I am planning 2 changes:
- for PB bonus points I am wiping out the PB times, for all distances, for anyone over 60 (this means if they take part in a GP event this year they are guaranteed a PB). Going forward this rule will kick in every 5 years for athletes over 60.
- for track nights I am planning to use Age Grading to calculate positional points.
Any queries/comments regarding the Grand Prix, please ask me. So get planning, get training and book those races. Good luck!
Click link below to see this years race list!